GIS Mapping of Schools to assess the accessibility of schooling
The objectives of the maps are
1. To draw circles with 1 km radius, called as school neighbourhood for all Govt. School having primary classes. This map will show whether all the primary class students in a habitation are reaching the schools easily by travel/walk within 1 km.
2. To draw circles with 3 km for all Govt. Schools having upper primary classes. This map will show whether all the upper primary students in a habitation are reaching the school easily by travelling maximum 3 km.
3. If any habitations is left out, not covered by any circle, new schools may be sanctioned there
4. The Govt. schools and the nearby private schools are identified from the maps. As per Education Rule, the nearby private schools should admit the students from Govt. School upto the limit of 25 percent of its strength.
1. Google Street as background image layer: to identify the area/habitations
2. Revenue village boundaries
3. Govt. and Private Schools
4. 1 km or 3 km Circle to identify the school neighbourhood
State Informatics Officer
National Informatics Centre
Chief Secretariat, Puducherry-605001
E-mail : sio-pon[at]nic[dot]in