NIC has established “Open Technology Group” (OTG) to spearhead the technology exploration & provision support services for adoption of solutions, which are based on Open Source Software (OSS) & Open Standards, in various e-Governance projects & applications under NIC & NeGP program of DeitY. OTG is mandated to facilitate strategic control of Open Technology within NIC and spearhead the knowledge centric activities in e-Governance projects all over India.
OTG has implemented the “Open Technology Centre” (OTC) Project (A Grant-in-Aid Project of DeitY, GoI) during the period (March 2007- March 2015).
OTG has played major roles in bringing out GoI's policies & frameworks related to OSS & Open Standard.
Key OSS Technology Services supported by OTG includes;
1. Web-2.0 / Open Web Platform
2. Cross platform Mobile Application Development
3. Trouble-shooting, Clustering & Performance-tuning of OSS Application Servers (Apache, Tomcat)
4. Consultancy on PostgreSQL Database about Design & Architecture, Trouble-shooting & Performance-tuning, Migration
5. Database Replication & Consolidation using SymmetricDS
6. CMS / Portal using Drupal
7. Single-Sign-On (SSO) solution using “Central Authentication System” (CAS)
8. Verification Services based on 2D Barcode
9. Platform independent Digital Signature Implementation
10. Bundled OSS Stack for Development, Staging & Deployment
11. Creation of Templates for CentOS on NIC-Cloud for use as Platform as a Service
12. Product Building for the applications developed
13. Creation of Customised Operating System using Kick-start approach
14. Recommendation of Open Source Stack after due evaluation
15. Capacity Building & Hand holding on Recommended Open Source Stack
16. Provisioning Support for recommended Open Source Stack
17. Big Data using Apache-Cassandra and Apache-CouchDB
Also the Group participates in the Open Technology related activities of “National centre for e-Governance Standards and Technology” (NeST) project of DeitY implemented by NICSI with STQC as technology partner. The following activities are being carried out under NeST;
1. Facilitate Best Practices / White Papers / Case Studies / Policies / Framework / Guidelines
2. Training Programs and Awareness-programs.