Carved from the erstwhile State of Assam, Meghalaya became a full fledged State on January 21,1972. It is bounded on the North and East by Assam and on the South and West by Bangladesh. The State of Meghalaya covers an area of 22, 429 square kilometres, and lies between 20.1 N and 26.5 N latitude and 85.49 E and 92.52 E longitude. Meghalaya is one of the most beautiful states in the country. Nature has blessed her with abundant rainfall, sun-shine, virgin forests, high plateaus, tumbling waterfalls, crystal clear rivers, meandering streamlets and above all with sturdy, intelligent and hospitable people.NIC Meghalaya was first established in 1988 in the basement of the Addl. Secretariat building and since that time it has left no stone unturned in rendering various ICT services to the state and Central Government offices located in Meghalaya. In the year 2003, NIC Meghalaya has shifted to its own building in the Secretariat Hill which also houses the IT Department of the State Government for synergies the activities together for the development of IT in the state and this building is providing all the ICT infrastructure and services with the latest state of the art technology.
Besides having a well-established ICT centre at the state capital, NIC also has its presence in all district headquarters, Block headquarters and some Civil Sub-Divisions. These centres are manned with adequately qualified IT professionals and are well connected with state capital and rest of the rest world through high speed VSATs and lease line.
45 Mbps Lease Line (PGCIL) backbone between NIC Meghalaya and N.E INOC Centre at Guwahati, 45 Mbps Lease Line (BSNL) backbone between NIC Meghalaya and NE INOC Centre at Guwahati, 2 Mbps Lease Line connecting Shillong with all NIC District Hqrs. From BSNL. SCPC (DAMA) for Data, Voice and Video-conferencing at all District Hqtr., CM Office, NIC State Centre etc. DirectWay VSAT installed at seven District Hqtr
- NOC & DATA CENTRE : A full-fledged state-of-the-art NOC & Data centre that operates on 24x7 online mode has been setup and is operational. The capacity of the Storage Area Network (SAN) is 4 Tera Bytes. The centre also includes the SecureNet Servers, Pix firewall, Anti-virus, NAT Servers, STM1, etc.
- Optical Fiber Cable (OFC): Main Secretariat, Addl. Secretariat, Yojana Bhavan, 3rd Secretariat, New Administrative Building, Horse Shoe Building, Taxation Building, PHED and NIC Building are interconnected via Optical Fiber Cable (OFC)..
- Wireless /RF Links: 80 office buildings in and around the city are connected by Wireless/ Radio Frequency links.
- Wi-fi LAN: A wireless LAN of 100 Nodes capacity has been installed in the Yojana Bhavan.
- Lease Line Connection of 2 mbps: Taxation Department, Agriculture Department, Commissioner of Transport, Animal Husbandry & Vety. Dept., Directorate of Educational Research & Training (DERT), ITI, General Post Office, NEC and Census Operation has been connected using 2 mbps lease line.
- LAN: About 2000 nodes in the (Main Secretariat, Addl. Secretariat and Third Secretariat, New Administrative Bldg and Horse Shoe Building, etc.) has been connected to the LAN with e-mail and internet connectivity.
- Dial-Up: ISDN dial-up connectivity with a capacity of 30 hunting lines for Internet, Email etc. has been set up to the offices not covered by Wireless/RF links and to residences of senior officers of the state government.
- Email: Approximately about 500 email accounts under NICNET domain have been created for government officials and departments
Video Conferencing facilities has been set up and commissioned at NIC State Centre, Yojana Bhavan, NEC Secretariat and all District Hqrs. NIC State Centre also has a video phone and IP phone installed. EVCS System has also been set up and implemented in the Office chamber of the Chief Secretary
Capacity Building and ICT Training
A Training Centre with two Lecture Halls having a capacity of 40 (forty) people and Computer Lab with twenty numbers of computer has been set up at NIC State Centre. Trainings were imparted on various application software to state and central government employees. Trainings programmes were held every month on various windows and Office Productivity Tools (Basic).Workshop and Conference/ Seminar were held from time to time in collaboration with Finance department, Taxation Department, Agriculture Department, IT Deptt., Arts & Culture, PHED, etc..CAPES (Computer Aided Paperless Examination System) exam is conducted regularly for the state government employees after the completion of the computer training undergone by them. Professional Training programmes were also were conducted in collaboration with Oracle, Microsoft, Sun Microsystem, Red Hat Linux, etc for updating the skill set of NIC personnel
NIC is providing web services to the various Government Ministries / Departments /Organisations / Institutions as well as State Government Departments and District Administrations. The primary domain for hosting the government websites is '.GOV.IN'. However, support is also provided for hosting the websites in other domains. NIC, Meghalaya State Centre has designed/developed a number of websites for the state and central government departments/organisations which is being hosted at NIC, Hqrs. New Delhi. About 75 websites have been designed and developed by NIC, Meghalaya.